First and foremost, myofascial, or better known as fascia, is the connective tissue that surrounds every muscle in your body, keeping it in place. Normal fascia should feel pliable and elastic, allowing smooth movements. If you’re suffering from tightness or trigger points, myofascial release is what you need in order to reduce the tension your body is experiencing.
Myofascial release focuses on reducing pain by easing the tension and tightness in the trigger points. It’s not always easy to figure out which trigger point is responsible for the pain, therefore, using myofascial release over general areas can help to loosen the tissues to better find and treat the tightness.
People who would benefit from myofascial release are those suffering from;
- trigger point pain/ knots
- IT band tightness (Runners)
- Decreased range of motion in joints
- Chronic headaches
Myofascial release has very few risks, however, this treatment combined with massage isn’t ideal for people:
- with burns, injuries, or painful wounds
- with fractures or broken bones
- with fragile or weak bones
- with deep vein thrombosis or deep vein issues
- taking blood-thinning medications
Please complete all portions, thank you!